[Samba] last ldap question ;-)

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Jul 27 21:58:55 GMT 2004

> if you have ldap and samba configured together do you still need to
> have local accounts in /etc/passwd in order to use smbpasswd or
> pdbedit utility?  (_fact_: smbldap-useradd.pl using them anyway _fact_)

You're going to love this... that depends.

IF you want your system(s) to authenticate against LDAP, independant of
samba, then no, those user accounts will be stored in the LDAP store.
If you are just storing samba data in ldap and don't care about network
authentication at the system level, then yes you do.  There are many
independant pieces of the puzzle that you can configure any way you want.

Note: putting samba in ldap and not using ldap for anything but storage
of samba data (that is, with users in the system password file) is
really quite a bit of overkill, that's what tdbsam is for.   I guess you
could use winbind against your ldap server if you really wanted to
though, which could work just fine.  It's really up to the way you
wanted to set it up.

I would assume (and we know where that gets you) that most of the time,
posix data is stored in LDAP first, the system authenticates just fine
against LDAP, and then people would try to layer on samba support.  From
the amount of problems people seem to be having, that doesn't seem to be
the case.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.