[Samba] SMB3.0 with XP Home and Win98SE clients. XP no go, what should I do?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jul 23 20:46:27 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 13:12, Apollo at Carmel Music & Entertainment
wrote:
> I want to have SMB server to authenticate all my users. Problem is that
> I have 8 Win98SE workstations and 2 XP Home laptops. I know XP Home
> won't do domain log-ons. What are my options (I would realy hate giving
> M$ more money by upgrading laptops to PRO)?
> How can I do user based log-ins in that kind of environment?
----
Only with WinNT Workstation, Win2K Professional and WinXP Professional
can machines participate in Domain security models. With Win98/ME/XP
Home, you can attach to shares simply by opening 'My Network Places'
browsing through Microsoft Networks - Workgroup Name - Server Name and
it will ask for a login (name / password). These names/passwords must
match samba user names/passwords and of course a samba user must have a
corresponding user account (real or mapped via smbusers).

If you wish to script the login (i.e. run from a machine's Start Menu -
Startup)...

something like...

net use f: \\SERVER-NAME\SHARE password /USER:username

should work.

get to a command prompt and try it out first. If you need help, try net
use /?

Craig