[Samba] Re: roaming profiles and samba

Jim C. jcllings at javahop.com
Thu Jul 22 07:09:11 GMT 2004

I do that all the time with no apparent trouble or corruption. I know
that Samba uses the same locking mechanisms that NFS does.  They live in
the kernel I believe and that may be a clue. Just a theory but what
normally happens when more than one program asks an OS for access to a
file, it puts the writers to sleep and only allows one at a time access
but lets the readers read what they want.

> I have a network comprised of a linux server (mandrake) running samba 3.0.4
> as a PDC and clients all being windows xp.  I am in the process of doing a
> practice run of roaming profiles and am currently stuck.  What is the most
> common way to prevent two of the workstations from logging into the pdc and
> thus corrupting the roaming profile?  Ive googled this till im blue in the
> face and am getting nowhere.  I cant possibly be the only person whose
> attempted such :)  Any help would be MUCH appreciated.  Please forgive me if
> I have improperly posted this or broken some other ettiqute, this is my
> second post ever to such a list, so i apologise in advance for any mistakes.
> Mark

| I can be reached on the following Instant Messenger services: |
| MSN: j_c_llings at hotmail.com  AIM: WyteLi0n  ICQ: 123291844 	|
| Y!: j_c_llings               Jabber: jcllings at njs.netlab.cz	|