[Samba] With a Samba 3 PDC, can I promote a Samba BDC to become new PDC?

Eric J Bennett eric.bennett at itouch.com.au
Thu Jul 22 05:21:34 GMT 2004

I'm trying to do the exact same thing out here, it's tricky, even after
reading the manual rather thoroughly, I got to the stage where we
vampire'd over all the account info successfully, but the vampire didn't
copy the password information for the machine accounts, and thus people
cannot log on.

I've posted to this list about it a couple of times before, but noone
has answered, I don't know if this is just an accepted bug or I'm
screwing something up, still trying to hack through the smbldap-useradd
script in the machine adding section, which is my best guess as to where
the actual problem is.

Cheers

Eric

Jeff McWilliams wrote:
| I'm helping out a small office upgrade their NT 4 PDC to Samba.  It's
a small
| office of 6 people, so tdbsam is being used. They keep having tape backup
| issues
| and other problems, so one of the reasons for the Samba migration is
to allow
| me
| to SSH into their box and remotely administer it from home on
| evenings/weekends.
|

| Currently I'm testing the move using two dummy machines, and some
Windows 2000
| clients running under VMWare.
|
| Following the Samba Guide, my plan was as follows:
|
| Existing Windows NT machine is called DellDC.
| Temporary machine is called TempDC
|
| 1.  Create a Linux based, Samba BDC named TempDC that joins the NT
domain, then
| following the instructions in chapters 5 and 8 of the Samba-Guide,
vampire the
| accounts database off of DellDC and promote TempDC to a PDC.
|
| 2.  Shutdown DellDC, and reload with Linux, configuring Samba as a BDC.
| Following the same approach, re-join DellDC to NT domain as a BDC, and
using
| net rpc vampire, vampire accounts database off of TempDC and promote
DellDC to
| PDC.
|
| 3.  Shutdown TempDC for good.
|

| In my simulation environment, I created a similar set of machines.
One is NT
| 4.0 server and the other is Debian Linux (testing, sarge) with the
latest Samba

| 3.0.4.  My samba configuration files are almost exactly as shown in the
| Samba-Guide with the exception of printer shares and the fictional shared
| folders.
|
| Step 1 goes fine.  I was able to join TempDC to the domain hosted by
NT4 on
| DellDC, vampire the accounts off of DellDC, and promote TempDC to
Primary DC
| status.   After this I turned off DellDC and reloaded it with Debian
Linux and
| Samba.
|
| Step 2 fails.   I reload DellDC with Linux, and successfully join the
domain.
| Groupmaps are successfully created as directed in the guide, as
before.  I even
| made sure /etc/passwd and /etc/group are the same on both the Linux
PDC and the
| Linux BDC that I'm trying to promote.  However, 'net rpc vampire' fails.
|
| The output is:
| DellDC:/etc/samba# net rpc vampire -S TempDC
| Fetching DOMAIN database
| Failed to fetch domain database: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
|

| Is there another approach or did I configure something incorrectly?
Given a