[Fwd: Re: [Samba] What happened to this list?]

Ninti Systems office at ninti.com.au
Mon Jul 19 12:44:21 GMT 2004

Interesting question. I'm not complaining, I find that the Linux/OSS
world is in general amazingly helpful, and people do find answers on
this list.

However, I must say that several of my own questions here never got
answered, and many others go unanswered. The samba team is doing a
fantastic job, but yes, this list does seem short of people who have the
time or expertise to provide answers. Mark also has some useful advice
on asking the right question.

I rarely answer questions here because I simply don't know the answers,
while on other lists I do help out as much as possible. My experience
with samba is pretty limited, simple standalone PDCs using a tdbsam
backend most of the time, on networks of maybe 10 clients.

Part of the problem may be that, comparatively speaking, samba is a
complex beast to configure and master, given that it requires expertise
in so many diverse things (eg UNIX, all Windows versions, networking,
security, file formats, the list goes on and on). Many lurkers here like
myself may not feel confident about suggesting solutions. Dunno.

Hmm, so there's another non-answer I suppose ... :-(

Mick

--
Ninti Systems: Smart IT Solutions