[Samba] winbindd caching bug?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jul 19 09:49:02 GMT 2004

I've had weird problems getting winbind authentication working on my
site. I eventually cured them by sticking -n on winbindd, thus turning
off the caching.

This was on a Redhat FC2 client authenticating with whatever domain
servers our central IT people use. I tried the Samba that came with FC2
and a fresh 3.0.4 release compiled from source.

  Here's what happened:

  "getent passwd fred" showed fred's passwd file entry just fine.
then
  "ssh fred at localhost" gave permission denied and disconnected.
then
  "getent passwd fred" returned nothing (except the next prompt).

  restarting winbindd and then running 'getent passwd fred' shows fred's
passwd file entry again, and we're back to square one as above.

  This seemed to be infinitely repeatable.

  Turning off the caching with -n and it all works. "getent passwd
fred", "ssh fred at localhost", all work, no matter how many times I do it.

Baz
b.rowlingson AT lancs.ac.uk