[Samba] Strangeness with computer account layout in LDAP Schema?

Eric J Bennett eric.bennett at itouch.com.au
Tue Jul 13 23:35:14 GMT 2004

Hello All,

I've been trying to migrate an NT 4 domain from a PDC to samba using net
rpc vampire, ran into various hitches along the way which now appear to
be mostly sorted, but the created machine accounts do not appear to be
in the correct format.

Checking ou=Computers under the main tree, no entry under this branch
has any space for an NT / LM password, here is an ldif dump of the main
branch and one entry;

dn: ou=Computers,dc=itouchaudev,dc=com
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: Computers

dn: uid=LBLIGH$,ou=Computers,dc=itouchaudev,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
cn: LBLIGH$
sn: LBLIGH$
uid: LBLIGH$
uidNumber: 1129
gidNumber: 515
homeDirectory: /dev/null
loginShell: /bin/false

I'm not certain if it's just a "feature" of the client, but also a lot
of additional blank fields are displayed under the GQ ldap client, (x121
address, registered address, etc)

Is this schema correct? I used to idealx smbldap tools 0.5 to create it
with smbldap-populate

Regards
Eric