FW: [Samba] Re: Access Denied touching shared CUPS printer

chris chris at mmo-accountants.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 15:34:50 GMT 2004

After much trying I have finally got this to work and I'm slightly
embarassed to admit that the old RTFM tripped me up. In the Samba 3
HOWTO - the official one, rather than the draft I was originally using -
it states quite clearly that to get point 'n' print to work "use client
driver" needs to be set to "no" in the [global] section of smb.conf, and
the samba daemons restarted so that the APW will work. However you will
need to change this back to "yes" on completion and restart the daemons
again. During this process you may get Access Denied errors.

I'm not sure if the rpcclient method works but it was pleasing to get
point 'n' print to work as smoothly as it should. Apart from this
difficulty, raw printing via Cups is very reliable, the only problem we
seem to have is with a Tally printer's internal print server which is
flaky under both NT and Samba.

Regards,

Chris

Christopher Moss