[Samba] Backup from Linux onto Win2K-share

Ron Liu rliu at email.sjsu.edu
Thu Jul 8 16:00:31 GMT 2004

Hi there
I ran into "File size limit exceeded" error when I tried to cp or mv a 9.9
GB .tgz file from a Linux server(Redhat 9.0) to a Win2k share (NTFS) mounted
on the Linux machine via  smbmount (Samba 3.0.4). The mv or cp command stops
as the transferred file size reaches 2.0 GB and the Linux gave "File size
limit exceeded" error. It seems there is no problem when cp or mv large
files from Win2k share to Linux via smbmount.

Is there anyway that I can get around the 2 GB limitation?

Thank you for your help.

Ron Liu
Information Technology Consultant
Biology Department