[Samba] Starting an XP service using samba?

Todd Snyder tsnyder at shoppersdrugmart.ca
Wed Jul 7 21:09:44 GMT 2004

Hey all..

first off, I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere or in the docs ... I've
spent numerous hours searching and not had any luck, so here goes ..

We remotely admin a few thousand xp machines ... currently we have to
have a person at a machine enable the telnet service for us (through a
handy front end) so we can connect and check things out.  After some
poking around the samba docs, I'm led to believe that there should be a
way to remotely start a service from the command line.

Can anyone tell me if I'm correct, and if so, how?  I've tried doing
smbclient //x.y.z.a/TlntSvr -U username but that doesn't work and thats
the closest I've gotten.  I saw a post from 2000 on another list that
mentioned using rpcclient I think, but nothing further.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it would cut out a lot
of fumbling around/waiting on hold when trying to fix problems.

Cheers!

t.