[Samba] Re: Wishlist for v4.0 Integration / Setup of samba.

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Jul 7 14:17:16 GMT 2004

Markus Benkovski wrote:

>I'm finding that most linux PDC users use LDAP for authentication.  Stupid
>question why LDAP?

Is your question why are people using ldap?  I'll go under the
assumption that it is.  If you have 2+ servers that need to stay in
sync, it helps (a lot) to have a network directory structure.  Having
used a couple alternatives, LDAP is more full featured than what I have
used, easier to understand, and is pretty much 'standard' fare on
current linux distros to at least be available without having to build
the whole thing yourself.  Combine that with many sources of
documentation and several methods for editing easily (gq, phpLdapAdmin,
perl::LDAP, ad nauseum) and it's the choice du jour.

>I total agree with improving the GUI but still nothing
>beats CLI.

I'll not jump into that flamewar-bait, at least not without my asbestos
underpants, and they're at home :-D

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254