[Samba] PDC/BDC Questions

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 27 07:34:04 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 08:44, Cybr0t McWhulf wrote:
> Software:
> OS: 		Redhat 9
> Samba Ver: 	Samba 3.0.0 (Plus excel writelock patch, waiting for 3.0.2!)
> OpenLDAP Ver: 	2.0.27-8
>
> Just a quick question about PDC / BDC interaction, my plan is to distribute
>  Samba (with slave ldap backend) BDCs to remote facilities, as well as
> have one on each network segment in the hopes of avoiding unnecessary
> nmb broadcast traffic.
>
> My question is this: Will the PDC / BDC(s), acting as master browsers
> for their segments, exchange netbios information (i.e. netbios names,
>  browsing info, etc.) via nmb?  Or do they exchange this information via
> tcp?  Or at all for that matter?

If they can't see each other, they will not exchange it at all.  If it
is intended that they not see each other, you may set each up as a 'PDC'
on each site.

> Also as a complete sidenote, what I think would be a nifty feature:
> (This would only be useful to those running an ldap backend (possibly
> mysql?)
> When setting an account to disabled, have an option to set the loginShell
> attribute to something, such as /sbin/nologin (Should be configurable of
> course).  Should be a fairly trivial thing.. just altering another
> attribute, if my C foo wasn't so weak I might attempt to add this
> feature myself.  Just a possible suggestion :)

We would rather not modify attributes that are not mandated by our
schema, but I would certainly look favourably on a patch that allowed
integrated updates with things like posixAccount and the shadow
attributes.  (The problem with setting a shell to /sbin/nologin is
deciding what to set it back to...)

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org