[Samba] Samba and Window XP write performance

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Mon Jan 26 20:44:12 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 15:28, Gustavo Rincon wrote:
> I did some testing using samba-3.0.0 as a server and two identical clients
> one Running W2K and other running Win XP pro.
> If I write a big file using the W2K client, I'm getting about 25 Mbytes/sec
> but if I run the same testing using the Win XP Pro, this
> client only is able to get 12.5 Mbytes/sec.
>
> There is a problem between XP and samba?
What speed Network interface do each of the clients have?

100Mbits/sec Ethernet will Theoretically get you ~11MBytes/sec due to
the 4/5 encoding and 125MHz signaling rate.
10Mbits/sec Will theoretically get you 1.4MBytes/sec due to the 20MHz
signaling rate with no encoding.

This assumes you are have zero Collisons during the throughput.

Personally, unless you have 1000Mbits/sec Ethernet(Gig), W2K is lying to
you.
greg at gregfolkert.net