[Samba] Connection refused, access denied (Windows XP trying to connect on samba's shared printer)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 25 08:21:28 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 23:41, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 13:17, Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 17:30, Mark Hougaard wrote:
> > > Jonny,
> > >
> > > Did you ever get your shared printer issue resolved? If so, how? I'm
> > > having exactly the
> > > same problem and I didn't see that anyone responded to your request for
> > > help on the
> > > lists.samba.org group.
> > >
> > > My setup and problem is pretty much the same as yours was Win XP pro can
> > > see printer
> > > share on Linux  RH9.0 (kernel 2.4.20), but cannot get access once the
> > > drivers are configured.
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > ---
> > I had a bunch of grief setting up HP Laser printers on AS 3 which is
> > virtually identical to RH 9. The first one worked, the second one didn't
> > and then the first one didn't work anymore. Spent a lot of hours on this
> > and finally got it working - here's how I did it, this might not be the
> > 'recommended' way but it worked for me.
>
> I can say that this is the pretty standard way of configuring these
> printers, and that the CUPS web tool is very, very good.  (This is the
> way I manage all my printers).

---
well my eyes were rolling around in my head reading and trying to
process all of the info on cups in JHT's How-To   I'm not smart enough
to understand that I guess.

Not entirely sure if Red Hat's tool works well enough and the manually
copying the PPD's to the /usr/share/cups/model/ppd seemed to be critical
element. Red Hat's tool has you picking the printer and the printing
type so it should have worked but it didn't. The cups web configuration
was easy enough.

The 'Add Printer Wizard' implementation to post the drivers on the
server is kick butt stuff. Easy, quick, painless and a lot of bang for
the amount of time necessary to make it work.

Craig