[Samba] Auto printer dirver install for windows client

Edd Payne edd.payne at ulu.lon.ac.uk
Fri Jan 16 10:09:08 GMT 2004

The way I did it was:

Use redhat-config-printer to set the printer up, making sure you make it a Raw
print queue (ie no driver), then make sure you can print from the linux box
(print a test page, or dump some PostScript/PCL to it to make sure it can see
the printer). Then make sure you can see the printer share when you browse to
the server through My Network Places on Windows. Go into the Printers folder
on the Server, select File > Server Properties, then upload the drivers and
associate them with the printer in the dialogue boxes that come up.

My Windows clients now automatically download and install the printer drivers
(I use the PS ones), and can do "point-and-print"

(I don't normally run Win2k on the desktop so can't verify these steps exactly
but it should be reasonably obvious - it took me about 5 minutes to work out
how to do it)

edd

--
Edd Payne