[Samba] automounting a usb-harddrive/cdrom that can be mapped from the login script.

Erik Holst Trans eht at it-trans.dk
Sun Jan 11 15:52:24 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am installing a Samba 3.0.1 on RH90 for a little school, and they want
to have access to a mobile usb-harddrive.
The harddrive shoud be mapped via the login script, and here is were my
troubles begin....

I have been experimenting with the autofs service, which works great if
the harddrive is present at login time.
If one login at a time where the harddrive isn't present the login
script fails and the drive mapping isn't made.
Yes i know why... at login time the autofs generated directory doesn,t
exist.

Then i made a directory (which get mapped) where autofs will generate a
sub-directory for the connected device.
Now the problem is that autofs is not mounting the harddrive until a
request is made to the non-existent directory (defined in the autofs
conf. files).

Hopefully you get the picture. ;-)

Any one who have something like this working, or some hints.
I guess one would have the same problems when using the servers cdrom drive.

Best regards
Erik Holst Trans