[Samba] First shot at smb.conf 1/2 right...

Jay Taylor jtaylor at pocosin.com
Fri Jan 9 16:53:23 GMT 2004

Hello:

I am running Mandrake 9.2 and Webmin (although I am learning to
configure samba via console and smb.conf).

I created an account on the Linux box called employee because the
Windows PCs were being prompted for a password if the password = share
was selected.  Now I force the connections to use the employee account.
I have the server up and running, and the server share /Projects is
viewable from all 3 windows PCs.  They can click and open /Projects (but
not save items there).  There are two other folders within /Projects
called /Projects/2004 and /Projects/Others that show up as folders (the
path on the linux box is /Projects/2004 and /Projects/Others).

However, when the Windows PCs click on the 2004 or the Others, they get
the following message:

     //Projects/2004 is not accessible.
     The share name was not found.  Be sure you typed it correctly.

Below is my smb.conf file (comments on it and suggestions for it would
be greatly appreciated).

Thank you for your time and assistance...

Jay Taylor

-----smb.conf----
[global]

	workgroup = actualworkgroupname