[Samba] print from Solaris to WinXP fails

Greg Chavez gregarious_mark at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 23:06:52 GMT 2004

Running 3.0 on Solaris, Win client is XP Pro.

This is my first go with Samba, and as such I am keeping it simple.  The
smb.conf file looks like this:

-----
  [global]
          workgroup = @HOME
          encrypt passwords = yes
  [test]
          comment = For testing only, please
          path = /export/samba/test
          read only = no
          guest ok = yes
-----

Accessing the test directory from WinXP is a breeze.  My next adventure
seemed simple enough, printing from Solaris to WinXP.  I copied in
smbprint.sysv to the samba directory, modifying the path to smbprint and
including the Windows share data:

-----
  server=slick
  service=lex_slick
  password=""
-----

Very straightforward.  I created the printer on Solaris with:

  # cd /usr/local/samba
  # lpadmin -p lex_slick -v /dev/null -i./smbprint.sysv
  # enable lex_slick ; accept lex_slick

Further, I made it the default printer from Sun's Print Manager.  Now the
problem: print requests are queued and sent to the WinXP client but do
not actually print.  No banner page.  Bubkis.  This is verifiable as I
can hear the printer ( Lexmark Z605 ) ready itself and see the remote
print request - briefly - in the printer's queue.  Samba sends me this
useless error message in return:

-----
encountered an error while printing on printer lex_slick.

Reason for failure:

smb: \> smb: \>
-----

What I'm not sure is about is whether I am dealing with a Solaris
filtering problem or not.  If so, then this is the wrong mailing list.
But as long as Samba knows it's not working right, it seems to me that I
can at least figure out what's wrong based on what Samba tells me.
Problem is, I don't know what to look for.  Packet dumps and logs thus far
have shedded no obvious answers.

Thanks
--Greg