[Samba] ou=Computers vs ou=Users

Adam Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Sun Jan 4 19:04:24 GMT 2004

> Recently I've read here, that there is a problem with storing computer
> accounts in a separate container, of LDAPSAM backend.
> We're successfully using Samba3.0.1pre1 (with a patch for bug#64, #532
> and #569, Win9x userlist problem)
> with separate ous for users and computers, after configuring pam-ldap

As are we. Samba = 3.0.1rc2

Machine accounts in "ou=System Accounts" and user accounts in
"ou=People"

   ldap admin dn = cn=CIFS DC,o=Morrison Industries,c=US
   ldap suffix = o=Morrison Industries,c=US
   ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
   ldap user suffix = ou=People
   ldap machine suffix = ou=System Accounts
   idmap backend = ldap:ldap://localhost/
   ldap idmap suffix = ou=idMap,ou=CIFS,ou=SubSystems
   idmap uid = 40000-50000
   idmap gid = 40000-50000

Works great.

Printer support seems REALLY slow, but I don't think it has anything to
do with the SAM.

We are waiting for Samba 3.0.2 to move up.