[Samba] authenticating from another samba server

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Feb 29 06:40:41 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 02:10, Adam Williams wrote:
> Hi, I have a server, snap1 10.8.5.10, that runs samba, and have users
> created by using useradd (but not added them to snap1's smbpasswd).  I'd
> like for users on our primary samba server, archives1 10.8.5.2,  to be
> able to type in \\snap1\username in windows and have the snap1 server
> take them to their home directory on the snap1 server, but athenticate
> the users against archives1's snmbpasswd.  The usernames on archives1
> and snap1 are identical. I tried adding wins server = 10.8.5.2 but it
> didn't work.

'password server' is probably what you are looking for, but it won't
help here until you do some other steps.

> The only other thing I can think of is using scp or
> ncftpget to copy archives1's smbpasswd file to snap1, but I'd like to
> know if there is a way to setup snap1's samba to authenticate users
> using archives1's smbpasswd directly instead of copying over archives1's
> smbpasswd file.
>
> archives1 is Redhat 9 with samba 2.2.8a.  snap1 is a snap appliance
> server (1U rackmount hard drive array) running Guardian OS Linux.  smbd
> -V on it doesn't show the samba version but it appears to be a version
> of samba 2.2 from its functionality.

One way is to upgrade archives1 to be a PDC with Samba 3.0, and join the
Snap box (which is also running Samba 3.0) to it.  The only issue will
be file ownerships, which will change.

You could setup remote ldap-based idmap (assuming a recent Guardian OS
release) to help 'fix' that, but by this point, you will be on your own
with regards to snap's customer support.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net