[Samba] SuSe 9 - Samba too slow

William Bryan wbryan01 at twmi.rr.com
Sat Feb 28 13:53:24 GMT 2004

My experience with Samba have always had a smb process spawn when I try to
connect to the Linux server via smb ( with user and password prompt ).

Now with SUSE 9 and 2.2.8a-107,  I see all smb deamons running as root and
one
switches over to my id to process 1 request and then switch back to root.

Each request takes 1.5 to 3 seconds to complete.  Way too long.
You can hear the harddisk on the linux box write something with the begin
and end
 of every request.

Symptoms:  Each file open/directory open in explorer take WAY TOO LONG.