[Samba] Problems with changing security setting on shared foldersvia Win2k

Clint Sharp clint at typhoon.org
Tue Feb 24 16:54:52 GMT 2004

I'm assuming you're running w/o ACL support.  Samba tries as best as
possible to map UNIX owner/group/other permissions to Windows ACL's,
however, the only way to have multiple users assigned permissions to a
file or folder is to have ACL support on your filesystem.  I don't know
if SuSE 8.2 comes with ACL support by default in the kernel, but you
might try to see first if 'which getfacl' returns anything (meaning you
at least have the tools installed) and then mount -o remount,acl
<whateverfilesystem> and see whether you can use setfacl to set ACL
permissions on the filesystem.  If so, make sure you add acl to the list
of options for that filesystem in /etc/fstab.  If that's the case, grab
the samba3 source RPM and add --with-acl-support to the SPEC file and
rebuild the RPM with rpmbuild.  What you're wanting to do works great if
you've got ACL support on the filesystem.

Clint

--
Clint Sharp
Systems Administrator, AT&T Wireless International IT