[Samba] Unix password sync

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Tue Feb 24 03:22:50 GMT 2004

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I've searched Google and the
archives and it hasn't revealed an answer to my problem.

Basically I'm trying to get unix password sync to work so that users can
change both their logon and other services (POP3 etc) passwords from
within Windows.  but the problem is that if I enable unix password sync,
it fails with the error of:

[user at mail user]$ smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The
specified password is invalid.
Failed to change password for user

So basically because it won't even work via smbpasswd from the machine
as the unprivileged user, then changing from Windows won't (and doesn't)
work either.  But of course, if I turn off unix password sync, password
changes by the users on the command line with smbpasswd work fine and
they do from Windows as well.

I have tried a variety of versions of Samba from earlier 2.2.x series,
to the latest 2.2.8a version and the latest 3.0.x versions as well.  So
it doesn't appear to be a bug in any specific version of Samba causing
the problem.  I'm running Samba on a Fedora Core 1 machine, but I've
also tested unix password sync on another machine with Red Hat 7.3 on it
and it fails on that one also if unix password sync is on.

What else needs to be done to get this to work properly?

TIA.

/ Ben