[Samba] DOMAIN missing in net rpc join example command

Karel Kulhavy clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Feb 19 09:17:02 GMT 2004

> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 01:13, edd payne wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 Feb 2004 2:10 pm, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> >
> > > root# /usr/local/samba/bin/net rpc join -S PDC -U Administrator
> > >
> > > The proper response to the command should be: Joined the domain DOMAIN
> > > where DOMAIN is your DOMAIN name."
> > >
> > > There is no DOMAIN in the command.
> > >
> > > What is the correct command that I should enter instead of this?
> >
> > AFAIK it pulls the domain from the workgroup= parameter in your smb.conf

The command in HOWTO reads "net rpc join -S PDC -U Administrator"

-S means server which obviously must fail unless my server is named
'PDC'. My server is not named PDC, my server is named oberon, and there
it fails :) There is nothing said about I should replace 'PDC' with the
servername. Instead there is said I should replace DOMAIN with my
domainname, which pattern doesn't occur in the example command, so that
this replacement is effectively a NOP.

> Actually, it asks the remote machine (the -S PDC) what it's domain name
> is, and joins that.  If you don't specify -S, it will join the PDC of
> the domain in smb.conf.  If you specify -w DOMAIN, it will join that
> domain (agian, by finding the PDC).

The HOWTO is obviously botched. What I suggest is to fix it in either of
these ways:
1) Replace 'replace DOMAIN with ...' with 'replace PDC with name of your
PDC machine'
2) change the HOWTO line 'net rpc join -S PDC -U Administrator'
to 'net rpc join -U Administrator'
3) change the HOWTO line 'net rpc join -S PDC -U Administrator' to
'net rpc join PDC -U Administrator'
4) change the HOWTO line 'net rpc join -S PDC -U Administrator' to
'net rpc join -w DOMAIN -U Administrator'

Thank you for your hint. Now, even wbinfo -u works for me :)

Cl<