[Samba] Unable to join ADS domain

Michael Bartosh mbartosh at mac.com
Thu Feb 19 07:36:12 GMT 2004

At 4:33 PM +0100 2/17/04, giuseppe panei wrote:
>Then the m$ documentation that recall ksetup and ktpass
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/kerbsteps.asp
>is bad ? It is my last resource :-).

It's great for unix stuff.

Samba makes your unix box act more like a PC in terms of domain
membership. Samba does things like a windows box would when joining a
domain and accessing domain resources. This is a good thing.

>I am attempting from many time to join my linux box to a win2k ads domain.
>I can browse winXp/2k hosts, I get ticket, but the from client hosts i must
>input the password.
>
>I must have a *.keytab file on my computer?

Not for Samba. Samba stores its secrets elsewhere. For ftp, ssh, etc... yes.

--

http://www.4am-media.com
Mac OS X Consulting and Training
mbartosh at 4am-media.com
303.517.0272
Denver, CO

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
regard those who think alike than those who think differently."

- -- Nietzsche

			Think Different.