[Samba] Re: PDC+BDC+Filereplication_How?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Feb 15 16:53:04 GMT 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, [ISO-8859-15] Gémes Géza wrote:

> Joao Fraga írta:
> | Gémes Géza wrote:
> |

> |>What method would you recommend for replicating folders, keeping
> |>existing ACLs (ability of manipulating that ACLs from Windows is not
> |>important) between Samba PDC-BDCs:
> |

> | I suggest you take a careful look at DRBD:
> |     http://www.drbd.org
> |
> | It is what you are looking for.
> |

> | Joao
> |
> Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately it is not yet XFS ready, and I
> had no luck with ACLs and other filesystems (it could be my fault),
> and I desperately need ACL support :-(.

If you want to use ACLs you need:

	1. ACLs support in your Linux kernel
	2. File systems formatted correctly
	3. To mount the file systems correctly in /etc/fstab
	4. Samba to be compiled and linked with the acls-devel libraries

Here is an entry from my fstab file for example;
	/dev/hda6       /export reiserfs        acl,user_xattr 1 2

I run SuSE SLES8, 8.2 and 9.0 with ACLs support without any problems.

The relication of ACLs from a Windows server to a Samba server requires
use of the correct Windows tools and does present limitations. You can do
this only when logged onto the Windows server/client as the Domain
Administrator and you must have Domain Administrator rights under Samba.

Cheers,
John T.
--
John H Terpstra