[Samba] Re: More Info: Mac permission problems after Debian update

Thomas Bork TomBork at web.de
Fri Feb 13 17:28:28 GMT 2004

Hi Michael,

> Rather than recompile Samba for the 2.2 kernel, I built and installed a
> 2.4.X kernel. I turned posix locks back on, and it works like a champ!
>
> Hopefully this solution will work for the others who have also had this
> problem with Mac OS X.

this has nothing to do with MacOSX. I had similar errors with win clients. Samba 2.2.8a self compiled on kernel 2.4.23 running on kernel 2.2.19.

It would be very usefull to have an parameter like 'locking base= xx' with 'xx' is 32 or 64 in global smb.conf. This would allow to manually changing this compile time parameter. Where the behaviour is this:

locking base =
(default, use result from configure at compile time)

locking base = 32
(use 32 bit locking base, override result from configure at compile time)

locking base = 64
(use 64 bit locking base, override result from configure at compile time)

Shure, the answer of developers will be:
"Send patches."

But: Sorry, I don't speaking C...

der tom