[Samba] Samba as the Trusted Domain

Karel Kulhavý clock at twibright.com
Fri Feb 13 11:29:11 GMT 2004

I have samba-3.0.2 with tdbsam (I don't remember why I moved on
to tdbsam from smbpasswd but something in the past must have required
it).

When trying to add trusting domain according to Samba HOWTO Collection,
page "clxxxvii" (why the heck the pages have such strange Roman hashes
instead of numbers?):

oberon root # smbpasswd -a -i KEVF_D1
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to initialise SAM_ACCOUNT for user KEVF_D1$.
Failed to modify password entry for user KEVF_D1$

The instructions seem to work only for those who use smbpasswd. I suggest the
documentation maintainer to add similar instructions into the documentation for
tdbsam users.

My smbconf follows:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/11/19 15:51:41

# Global parameters
[global]
	security = user
	wins support = no
	workgroup = KEVF_D4
	encrypt passwords = yes
	domain logons = yes
	null passwords = yes
	interfaces = eth1
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
	debuglevel = 3
	ldap ssl = no
	admin users = admin,prech,root,test
	hosts allow = 195.113.0.0/255.255.0.0
#	hide local users = yes
	name resolve order=lmhosts,bcast

	unix password sync = yes
	passwd program = /bin/passwd "%u"
	passwd chat = *ew*password* %n\n *ew*password* %n\n

	add user to group script = /usr/local/samba/bin/myaddusertogroup "%u" "%g"
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c 'Samba User' -d /dev/null -g smbusers -s /bin/false "%u"
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c 'Machine' -d /dev/null -g machines -s /bin/false "%u"
	add group script = /usr/local/samba/bin/mygroupadd "%g"
	delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel "%g"
	delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel "%u"
	delete user from group script = /usr/local/samba/bin/mydeleteuserfromgroupscript "%u" "%g"
	delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel "%u"

	map to guest = Bad User
	passdb backend = tdbsam

	logon drive = h:
	logon home = \\oberon\%U