[Samba] Samba User Nightmare

Joe Polk listuser at javelinux.com
Tue Feb 10 21:53:00 GMT 2004

Start with the basics. Did you add all of your users to Samba? And I don't
mean just Red Hat. You have to add them to Samba.  Also, are there group
considerations?  My guess is the former. Some users are not in Samba and/or
they have no access to the shares in question. I find it best to match
usernames and passwords to Samba. Windows machines always send the logged-in
user's credentials first and always encrypted, so be sure encrypted passwords
is set to yes in smb.conf. Also, keep in mind that if these users are on
Windows 2000 that it will sort of "time out" connections to shares at times.
I've not read if this has been addressed by Samba but I'm sure it had. I have
connections "X" out even in a Windows environment. Usually, a simple click
reinstates the connection.

<<JAV>>