[Samba] samba PDC and BDC with ldap master and slave backend

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 9 09:16:04 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 20:08, Jérôme Tournier wrote:
> Le Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 08:35:52AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett a ecrit:
> > >   => passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://slave.quenya.org ldap://master.quenya.org"
> > >   will samba store informations in the master ldap server or will it fail ?
> >
> > This will work fine.  Samba will talk to the master for updates.  Set
> > 'ldap replication sleep' to the amount of time you expect the slave to
> > take to catch up to reality.  (Oh, and I know that's dody, but better
> > ideas haven't yet been implemented).
>
> OK. But with the order specified in the example above (slave and then
> master), will samba contact first the slave and then the master if needed
> ?
> I mean, let suppose i have the 'passdb backend' defined above. If samba
> need to modify something, is the operation procedure like this :
> 1) samba contact the first ldaps server mentionned in 'passdb backend',
>    ie the slave server
> 2) samba try to update the directory : that fail
> 3) samba try to contact the second ldap server mentionned in 'passdb
>    backend', ie the master

Not quite.  Even if the master is not mentioned in the smb.conf, Samba
will follow the 'referral', from the current LDAP server to find where
it should make the write.

> 4) samba try to update the master directory : succes
> 5) all next operations will be done first with the slave ldap server
>
> Is that the good senario ?
> Thanks

This is basically how it works.

Except for writes, it will also contact the master (the second server in
the config line) if the slave just isn't there.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net