[Samba] mandatory profiles?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 5 21:00:45 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 07:48, Ivo Dancet wrote:
> I would like to setup a samba PDC with mandatory profiles for my school.
> I know that I can easily use them for XP (centralized) and that for Win
> 98 I have to put them in the user accounts. Now my question: do I have
> to put a profile in the user account each time a new user is made? Or is
> there a simple way of doing this. (off course I would link it to one
> profile, but this way I still have to link it myself...)
>
> (there are a lot of users, and each year 200 extra users should be
> activated, so it would be nice to automate this proces)

You may set the logon path to the central share.  I wrote a VFS module
that fakes up the permissions required, call vfs_fake_perms.so, which is
built with Samba 3.0.  There is also an option 'profile acls' in the
smb.conf.  Use one or the other on the share that holds the *mandetory
profile only*, otherwise you will have problems reading the profile to
the client.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org