[Samba] VMware Printing Problem - Access Denied, Unable To Connect

L. Mark Stone LMStone at RNoME.com
Wed Feb 4 19:40:41 GMT 2004

Running Samba 2.28 on a SuSE Linux Pro 9.0 system, equipped with VMware
Workstation 4. A Windows 2000 Pro guest OS is installed in VMware.

Printing from the W2K OS doesn't work. I was able to add the printer as
a network printer OK (it appears as a network printer when using My
Network Places to browse to the Linux Samba server), but the printer
status reads Access Denied, Unable to Attach after it is installed.

Samba is otherwise working fine between Linux and the VMware Windows
system. In Windows I mapped Samba shares to drive letters, and I can
access these just fine. I created a "clean" smb.conf file with SWAT to
no avail. I googled for this error, but found that those experiencing
this had more general Samba setup problems. I searched the docs on
samba.org and came up short (the latest HOW-TO collection is missing the
chapter that looks most helpful).

No error messages appear in the Windows Event Viewer nor in
/var/log/messages when I try to print a test page.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here is smb.conf:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2004/02/04 13:20:42

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = RNOME.COM
	server string = Reliable Networks Samba Server
	security = SHARE
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	username map = /etc/samba/user.map
	log level = 2
	time server = Yes
	unix extensions = Yes
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
	printcap name = CUPS
	os level = 2
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = No
	preload = printers print$ documents data
	printing = cups
	printer name = Epson_C84
	veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S
	read only = No
	create mask = 0640
	directory mask = 0750
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/tmp
	create mask = 0600
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
	write list = @ntadmin root
	force group = ntadmin
	create mask = 0664
	directory mask = 0775
	guest ok = Yes

[documents]
	comment = Reliable Documents
	path = /windows/D/Data/Reliable Documents/
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	hosts allow = 172.16.172.128

[data]