[Samba] Group Mapping in MySQL backend

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Feb 4 16:32:44 GMT 2004

Hi Bjoern,

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 17:21, Bjoern Scheuermann wrote:
> think I have to reply to my own mail, if nobody else does... :-)
Sorry, I think I didn't notice it the first time...

> > are there any plans to add some support for storing not only user
> > information, but also group mappings in the MySQL passdb backend? Or are
> > there problems I'm not aware of why this cannot be done?
After I finish the registry library work, this is one of the things I'm
going to look at next. Could take a few months though...

> I'd maybe be willing to try doing this on my own, if sombeody could give me
> some hints on how to start. Is it just the implementation of the methods for
> storing and retrieving the group mappings which I've found in the LDAP
> backend code? Or is there anything more to do?
Yep, that's all.

> > And - by the way - is there any reason why pdb_mysql should not (yet) be
> > used in larger installations (several hundert clients), or why several
> > servers shouldn't share one common database? Are there any experiences
> > regarding such installations, or are any problems already known?
> Nobody using it with more than a few users/clients?
> What a pitty...
There are a couple of large installations out there. It's just that LDAP
is more commonly used for user databases. Other reasons might be:

- libnss_mysql doesn't work very well (at least, last time I tried it)
- user databases are most of the time read-only operations, something
LDAP is optimized for
- Easier extension of fields stored for users - it's easy to add a
schema, while in MySQL you would have to modify your table.

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij http://samba.org/~jelmer/ http://samba.vernstok.nl/ Last
CVS commit: Sat Jan 10 22:05:38 2004 (24d 18h 20m ago) Bugs in bugzilla: