[Samba] LDAP versus LDAPSAM

Philip Juels pjuels at rics.bwh.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 2 14:59:02 GMT 2004

Hi all,

What exactly is the difference between ldap and ldapsam compilations?
What functional differences are there for samba?  I assume you can do
user authentication with just ldap?  Is ldapsam only necessary for PDC
functionality?

There seems to be loads of documentation on Samba-as-PDC-to-LDAP, but
virtually none that I could find for just samba-to-ldap (over TLS, so
no PAM) user authentication (I'm not interested in setting up a
samba-based PDC, although I will if I have to).

Thanks,

Philip Juels
pjuels at rics.bwh.harvard.edu