[Samba] Using winbindd against Samba PDC doesn't work

Gerry Valle gerry at qcworld.com
Wed Dec 22 21:22:16 GMT 2004

I set up a RH9/Samba 3.0.9 machine as a member server.  The PDC was
an NT server.  I configured and ran winbindd and it grabbed all the
user info.  wbinfo functioned correctly for all the arguments that I
tried.

I then setup a FBSD4.10/Samba 3.0.9 as a PDC for a different domain,
and set up the Linux box as a member server of the new domain.  The
Linux box joined the domain (or so it said) and I ran winbindd.
This time wbinfo -u returns errors, wbinfo -t says:

checking the trust secret via RPC calls failed
error code was NT_STATUS_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_NOT_FOUND (0xc0000233)
Could not check secret

wbinfo --sequence says:

NINAW : 1
BUILTIN : 1
LIGHTCYCLE : DISCONNECTED

where ninaw=linux box, lightcycle=new domain.

Why would winbindd work correctly for the NT server but not for the
FBSD Samba server?  Does it request something specifically tailored only
for NT machines?  Does winbindd only work when used against NT
servers?  Any suggestions about which parameters I can adjust or
check in the smb.conf?  (I didn't change any parameters in the Linux
member server's conf, except to put the new domain name).

Thanks for any help,

Og