[Samba] Upgrade to Samba 2.2.12 (HP/UX 11.11)

Robin Munt magicbobeto at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 16:31:09 GMT 2004

Hi from Barcelona,

We've recently inherited support of a server which is
running version 2.2.3a of Samba.  Obviously this
version is well out of date, i know ideally we should
move to version 3, but at the moment we're thinking of
updating to 2.2.12.

The problem is I have no idea how the original version
of Samba was compiled and installed.  The service
that's running is pretty important, so i need to make
sure that

(i) The upgraded version is compiled with all the
relevant options.
(ii)  I don't lose any of the configuration files that
may have been modified (eg smb.conf, private directory
etc etc).

The system is running HP/UX B.11.11 (yeeeuch !) - but
no HP 'packages' have been installed for Samba, i
believe everything was compiled from source.  I think
we also have the old source tree in place.

Can anyone advise the best way to go about tackling
this ?

Thanks for all your help,  Merry Christmas to all !

Magic Bob