[Samba] loosing connections after upgrade to 3.09

MJBarber at Hearst.com MJBarber at Hearst.com
Thu Dec 16 16:30:09 GMT 2004

I had 3.05 running fine with an NT4 domain.  I am using SERVER
authentication with the machines and users.  After the upgrade some of my
users are no longer recognized ...or rather they are part of a trusted
domain (NT4 -> NT4 trust)....and they do not get authenticated
properly....so they can no longer map their home directory.

Also, some people are loosing their mapping to their home directories...
it is easy to re-establish them but they get confused.... The users log on
and then within minutes their connection is dropped.  This seems to be
primarily with XP Pro boxes.  The time out is set to 60 on samba server.
It doesn't even show up as a disconnected network share (usually with a
red X), the share is completely gone and must be recreated/established.

I have 3 almost identical boxes running RedHat 9 (ugh...only supported OS
for my IDE Raid controller).... I compiled the 3.09 from a src rpm just
because of RedHat's funky file arrangement.....

I have used samba for a number of years now with no really complicated
setups and therefore I have never tried winbind.  I am thinking of
migrating to a winbind setup but .....I have to read/research the issues
first....

Anyway....
1.  Users having their connections dropped in XP (sp1 only).
2.  Users part of a trusted domain not getting authenticated by Samba.
(they can log in normally)...so no Home directory.

Any help is appreciated....let me know if I forgot to mention anything
that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Michael J Barber
WPTZ/WNNE
Computer Services Administrator
p  518-561-5555 x563
m 518-572-6639
f   518-561-5940

[...]

This e-mail message is intended only for the personal
use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not
an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or
distribute this message.

please notify the Hearst Information Services HelpDesk
(helpdesk at hearst.com) immediately by e-mail and
delete the original message.