[Samba] configure dual samba 3.0.8 instances-one fedora box

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Dec 8 21:34:25 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 10:19 -0600, Fred wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've a need to run 2 instances on one box.  I've spent the better part
> of 2 days looking for docs and howto's and reading the FM.  However, I
> think I'm making too much out of it, thinking that there is more to it
> than there really is.
>
> the first instance is to serve the users,  the second instance is for
> the backup system.
>
> I'm running fedora core 2 with samba 3.0.8pre2  (the first instance is a
> member server in a win2k3 domain and its working well.)
>
> I have a test box set up to experiment on.
>

> is there someone that can give me a quick run down as to the process of
> setting this up?  or just a link to a doc would be fine... I haven't
> really found that much on the web though.

You are missing an additional IP Address. Just assign an additional IP
Addr to the existing interface and then have the "working" one only
listen to the original interface (eth0 maybe), and the new one listen on
the added interface (eth0.1 or what ever you name it)

Both instances have to have different configs and "storage areas" for
things like the tdbs and WINS/cached information, print$ and profiles.
Though you can still have the same shares defined. And the printers
should just work as well especially if you use CUPS.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux