[Samba] 2003 Terminal Server profile storage problem (earliermessage was incomplete - sorry)

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Dec 7 19:26:52 GMT 2004

>We were striving for live network stored access - no replication - have I
>missed something else?

Oh, I guess I misunderstood.  That's not the way Windows works by
default.  Windows copies all of the profile locally then does all file
access on the client.  At logoff that is copied back to the server.

That being said, there are ways around that behavior for certain
things.  You can redirect certain directories, sorry for not knowing
which, but I know My Documents is one of them, with some registry
settings.  For the full how-to I suggest looking at the How-To and ...
By Example books linked to from the documentation section of
www.samba.org.  I personally don't use them due to the ratio of laptops
on my network, but there are a lot of people here that do with great
success.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322