[Samba] Server not browseable with 3.0.8

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafayette.edu
Fri Dec 3 18:46:26 GMT 2004

I'm running samba on a Debian "testing" system.  I previously had a
working Samba 3.0.7, but upgraded recently to 3.0.8. The only differences
between my /etc/samba/smb.conf and the version supplied by Debian in
/usr/share/samba/smb.conf are the name of the workgroup, encrypt passwords
= true, and I selected the lines for lprng-based printing.

It used to work fine.  I could browse from Windows 98 and XP clients, and
I could connect and use my Linux files and printer.

A few days ago, I did an apt-get dist-upgrade.  For those unfamiliar with
Debian, this updates everything to catch the latest, but I don't see
anything relevant in the list of updates other than samba. I'm now running
samba 3.0.8-2.

I can no longer connect from either Win98 SE or from Win XP systems.  I
can't even browse my server.  I get the message
    \\myserver is not accessible

If, however, I try from another Linux system, I can connect with
smbclient, but I still can't browse with LinNeighborhood.

I set the debug level to 9.  Looking in /var/log/samba at the log files,
it looks as if nmbd is seeing the browser queries, but discarding them.

Has anyone run into anything like this?  In particular, I see things like

 find_workgroup_on_subnet: workgroup search for PHYSICS on subnet xxx.xxx.xxx.2 1: found.
[2004/12/03 10:41:09, 5] libsmb/nmblib.c:read_packet(757)
  Received a packet of len 201 from (xxx.xxx.xxx.64) port 138
[2004/12/03 10:41:09, 9] nmbd/nmbd_namelistdb.c:find_name_on_subnet(129)
  find_name_on_subnet: on subnet xxx.xxx.xxx.21 - name PHYSICS<1d> NOT FOUND
[2004/12/03 10:41:09, 5] nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:process_dgram(1194)
  process_dgram: ignoring dgram packet sent to name PHYSICS<1d> from xxx.xxx.xxx.64

My Samba server is xxx.xxx.xxx.21.  It is first saying it is able to
find PHYSICS, but later can't find PHYSICS<1d>.

Is anyone else having similar problems?  As I say, it used to work just
fine.

Thanks in advance,

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafayette.edu
    Dept. of Physics