[Samba] Re: Tbench benchmark numbers seem to be limiting samba performance in the 2.4 and 2.6 kernel.

TJ systemloc at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 07:32:15 GMT 2004

	Aha! In an attempt to decrease TCP overhead, I disabled traffic control on a
seperate NIC (not the gigabit NIC I tested with tbench on). I also flushed
all the tables in iptables. I then re-ran tbench from the other machine on
the gigabit ethernet. Throughput came up to 6.74868.

	I also tried running tbench across loopback on the server with tc and
iptables off and flushed. The throughput came up to 16.4996! I tested across
loopback with tc off, but with my iptables rules still set. The throughput
came back down to 6.5832.

	It seems that my iptables rules are definitely slowing down throughput. Why
this is true, I do not know. Additionally, even with this off, throughput is
low across the ethernet. I'm wondering if there is an ethernet problem this
time.

The iptables rules that are causing this problem, with process names marked
out:
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p tcp -m owner --cmd-owner xxxxx -j MARK
--set-mark 1
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p tcp -m owner --cmd-owner xxxxx -j MARK
--set-mark 2
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p tcp -m owner --cmd-owner xxxxx -j MARK
--set-mark 3
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p tcp -m owner --cmd-owner xxxxx -j MARK
--set-mark 3
iptables -A OUTPUT -t mangle -p tcp -m owner --cmd-owner xxxxx -j MARK
--set-mark 3

TJ Harrell