[Samba] File permissions changing

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Wed Dec 1 14:38:08 GMT 2004

Hi all,

This doesn't happen with UNIX so I am at a loss.  I've got a directory where
the directory mode is 770.  All the files within it were manually set to 660
permissions and the create mode on the share is 660.  However, when a user
opens a file, changes it, and saves it, they become the owner (ok) and the
mode becomes 640!  Hence, the next person comes to me and says "That file is
read-only again!"  What is going on here?  I can understand the permissions
reverting while someone is IN the file, but shouldn't they go back when they
close it?

Samba 3.0.9, Linux 2.6.5.

Misty