[Samba] The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost:901

McGlynn, Sean (DOB) Sean.McGlynn at budget.state.ny.us
Tue Aug 31 19:28:54 GMT 2004

I am quite new to Linux, and just trying to do some simple things like
get my Linux and windows boxes talking to each other.

I have installed Samba 3.0.6 on Red Hat 9 on a Intel P3 box.  I
installed RH without the boxed version of Samba, removed the components
it installed anyway (samba-client and samba-common), and then downloaded
the source code from Samba.org.  I went through the Samba instructions
(http://us1.samba/org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch02.html) step by step.  I
have gone through the steps to enable SWAT.  I've confirmed swat 901/tcp
appears in the services file, created /etc/xinetd.d/swat and confirmed
disable=no, ran /bin/kill -HUP -a xinetd to make it reread the config
file.  I created /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf, and created the tmp
directory.  Finally, I ran smbpasswd for the root account to add the
account into the encrypted password database.  I set the security level
to No firewall, and Lokkit is not on this system, so I don't think it's
a firewall issue.  I don't see anything in any of the iptables files
that would seem to be an issue (suggestions are welcome re. iptables -
I'm not that familiar).  I've added swat: 127.0.0.1 to host.allow and
swat: ALL to hosts.deny.  That's about everything from the documentation
and scouring the world wide web for a solution to the "The connection
was refused when attempting to contact localhost:901" error I'm getting
when trying to open http://localhost:901 (or http://127.0.0.1:901) for
the Samba configuration utility.

Thank you.