[Samba] plaintext backend

Karel Kulhavy clock at atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Tue Aug 31 13:33:23 GMT 2004

> >I would like to use plaintext backend
> >

> plaintext is an authentication method, not a backend.  The option is
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> //encrypt passwords/ = no/

No, according to Samba official HOWTO, plaintext is a password backend:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html
grep "user information" - you'll see "Plaintext" heading listed under
the heading "Password Backends".

Also the table of contents implies that "Plaintext" is a "Password
Backend" (from the same URL):

Password Backends
		Plaintext
		smbpasswd Encrypted Password Database