[Samba] On XP SP1 - Delete access fails in Samba 3.0.x

karthik.logasundaram at wipro.com karthik.logasundaram at wipro.com
Wed Aug 25 03:59:29 GMT 2004

I am not able to delete files in my samba shares (Karthik) from Windows
XP SP1 or SP2 machines.
>From 2K / NT / 95 it works fine.

RH 7.2 Kernel 2.4.20-28.7
Samba version 3.0.1

Configuration Settings Smb.conf
[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = Samba Server
;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = lprng
;  guest account = pcguest
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   dns proxy = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

[karthik]
available=yes
browsable=yes
comment= Karthik Directory
delete readonly=yes
path=/home/karthik
printable=no
public=yes
writable=no

Do I need to change any configuration to allow deleting.
My requirements are the folder should have readonly  and delete
permissions.

Thanks,
Karthik

Confidentiality Notice