[Samba] mod_smbfilepwd_entry: Using old smbpasswd format. This is no longer supported.! ?????

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 24 23:54:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 03:31, M. D. Parker wrote:
> I have been using (actually inheareted the system) a file for the Samba
> password database using since something during the 2.0 erra.  New accounts
> have been successfully added and users are apparently logging in ok.  After
> installing 3.0.6 I am seeing these things in my log (log level=3).
>
> mod_smbfilepwd_entry:  Using old smbpasswd format.  This is no longer
> supported.!
>
> 1. What is the difference between the "old" smbpasswd format and the "new".

The layout and number of feilds.  The new format was intended to be
extensible (in the end it wasn't, or at least it was never extended)

> 2. How do I convert the current file to be of the "new" type without having
> to reenter username/passwords (which one usually does not have).

I think there is a script to change the format, but this (untested)
should also work:

pdbedit -i smbpasswd:/etc/samba/smbpasswd -e
smbpasswd:/etc/samba/newsmbpassswd

mv /etc/samba/newsmbpasswd /etc/samba/smbpasswd

Andrew Bartlett