[Samba] how to use /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow for samba passwords?

Ganeshram Iyer ganeshramiyer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 20 21:41:39 GMT 2004

Actually according to the samba site
(http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/StandAloneServer.html),
if you scroll to the last para of the Backgroung section you have the
following sentence:

Through the use of Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM) and the name
service switcher (NSSWITCH), which maintains the UNIX-user database) the
source of authentication may reside on another server. We would be
inclined to call this the authentication server. This means that the
Samba server may use the local UNIX/Linux system password database
(/etc/passwd or /etc/shadow), may use a local smbpasswd file, or may use
an LDAP backend, or even via PAM and Winbind another CIFS/SMB server for
authentication.

So according to this we can use /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow for
authentication. Am I wrong in that?
Ganesh