[Samba] Problem migrating PDC from one machine to another

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Aug 19 12:56:32 GMT 2004

On Thursday 19 August 2004 06:47, Derek Harkness wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2004, at 7:57 AM, Alex Sharaz wrote:
> > 3). Copy smbpasswd, secrets.tdb and smbusers from old server/etc/samba
> >  to new server/etc/samba
>
> Don't copy the secrets.tdb, most of the information in secrets.tdb is
> server specific.  The information piece of information in the file is
> the domain SID.  So preform the upgrade just like a real MS domain.
> Join Server 2 to the domain, so it has the correct domain SID, then
> edit it's config to make it a the domain master.  At this point you can
> either edit the config on Server 1 and demote it to a normal domain
> server or simply turn it off.

To set the domain SID from an existing Domain run:
	net rpc getsid -S PDC_name -UAdministrator%password

Do NOT change the server name and do NOT change the Domain name (workgroup
name) of a Samba server after you have set the SID. IF you must change either
you should first save the current SID with:
	net getlocalsid > mysid
Then after changing the name, reset the SID from the file mysid with:
	net setlocalsid S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXX

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member