[Samba] Installation problems on Fedora Core 2

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Aug 18 18:18:25 GMT 2004

David Levner wrote:

>the name of the Linux machine. I have started nmbd and
>smbd on the Linux machine with "nmbd -D" and "smbd
>-D".)

Perhaps try using the startup script, you may get some insight from that
and it's the 'approved' way to do things ;)

>I used yum ("yum install samba") to install samba

try running yum install x for the following packages as well
samba-common-3.0.5-2
samba-swat-3.0.5-2
samba-client-3.0.5-2

>3. I can't run smbclient because this program does not
>seem to exist on my Linux machine.

Install the client package

>4. I can't run nmblookup because this program does not
>seem to exist on my Linux machine.

Also part of the client package

>What did I do or am I doing wrong? If I uninstall and
>reinstall samba, what should I do differently?

You could try to post your smb.conf file for more help after doing the
above.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.