[Samba] LDAP and Password Values

Adam Tauno WIlliams adam at morrison-ind.com
Wed Aug 18 12:33:40 GMT 2004

> Samba schema and related indices were added and containers created.
> Added user xxxxxxx to LDAP database via phpLDAPadmin and  executed
> smbpasswd -a xxxxxxx -D 256
> Besides the <does not exist> issues, the attribute sambaDomainName was added.
> Are there additional containers and/or attributes that I have overlooked in
> the documentation?

No, sambaAccount and sambaDomain are the only required objects - so long
as they are below the search root it doesn't matter where you put them
(it doesn't matter to Samba anyway, it may matter for other
site-specific reasons).

Of course without sambaGroupMapping aux objects on at least some of your
posixGroups your installation will be of minimal utility - you need the
required groups like Domain Administrators, Power Users, etc... to get
'normal' NT behaviour.

> Lastly, is the sambaSID value consistant accross users sans the hyphen integer
> suffix?

If they are all in the same domain, yes.